Thursday, March 13, 2008

Last October some friends of a friend visited Cambodia. They were 2 doctors and were interested in the hospital system in Cambodia. I told them of my own personal experience in Mekong Phnom Penh Clinic, a hospital near my home where I was taken to treat a bad open wound on my hip after being ripped of the back of a moto dop. I was put in a small room with about ten other people and no air conditioning, there was only a squat toilet and due to my injury I was unable to squat. The staff did not speak English so communication was an issue. I was left there until my driver came the next morning. His sister came and asked for a towel so she could wash the wound, they did not have any. This experience cost me $200 and the doctor working there advised me that I would need to have stitches. After spending $200 for 12 hours in the Mekong Phnom Penh Clinic I had no money left and explained this to the doctor, he then said I was fine to go home and did not need any more treatment. The wound got infected and thanks to the advice and help of a friend I visited Naga clinic where I was treated by the wonderful Dr Pauv and we immediately became good friends. The 2 doctors visiting were interested in meeting Dr Pauv so I gave them his details. They reported back to me that he took them to a “free” hospital and that the free hospital had very modern equipment. Thinking of the experience I had in a private hospital I found this amazing and when a child was ill at the orphanage I volunteer for I immediately called my friend Dr Pauv to ask if there was any chance he could be admitted into the free hospital. Dr Pouv was sorry to inform me that unfortunately the free hospital does not accept children. Yesterday I received the following text message from a friend:

Sokla at hospital, he’s been complaining of severe stomach pain. They did sonar. He has appendicitis. Must have it out. $500. Help.

Sokla is a tuk-tuk driver whose salary is $100 per month; I have lent more than $3000 here and have bills to pay myself. I call Doctor Pouv, he tells me that the free hospital is not quite free, it will cost Sokla $130 and the conditions of the operating theatre are far from good. So much for a free hospital. Sokla’s operation was paid for with money from Jane, Mr. No Hair who was visiting from Germany and me. I guess nothing free actually is but it does make me think how many people come to Cambodia and see only what they want to see.

2 comments:

Aaron the H said...

You truly are a saint, you know. I dont know anyone else that gives all of themself so selflessly. Its quite refreshing. This post was both tragic and incredible. Kind of like...Cambodia.

Georgie . said...

Oh thank you my friend! Yes! Khmer New Year the same as Thai so i will be in BKK then! last night i dreamt of Benlampo alleys, eating spiders and drinking on mats on the side of the road at 3am and singing Kareoke with BKK taxi drivers.... cannot wait!