Monday, April 14, 2008

Parachutes


I have recently developed an irrational fear of two things - hotels and long plane flights. Irrational fear is nothing new to me but these two things were once my passion, my indulgence, my escape. I have in the past been lucky enough to experience staying in the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, the Ritz Carlton and some of the cheapest dive hotels in Hollywood and Asia. I was once so proud of the ability to travel through time zones and climate changes with absolutely no effect.
Now the thought of an airplane flight is tedious - no matter how short and hotels make me shiver with the cold heartlessness within them, the feeling "i am alone" is echoed in the sanitized rooms and their streamlined brand styles.
Because of these feelings i chose to travel to Bangkok by land and was lucky enough to have a friends apartment to stay in, this is not just a beautiful friend but an artist. To be surrounded by her work and inspirations is a dream come true and though there are lovely boutique hotels i think nothing compares to a home and style built personally, not designed for the comfort of others but out of love. I am happy to have this time-out here to gather my thoughts and read, write, watch DVD's, listen to music and think. I am lucky to have such inspirational friends.
         
          

1 comment:

Let The Good Times Roll said...

EEEEEK I miss Bangkok!!!!
Miss you also.