Thursday, April 10, 2008


This morning I went to school to find all of my students wearing plain clothes and ordering take away pizza, ok it is Khmer New Year but was this allowed? I went to the school office and no-one was there, I assumed it must be Khmer New Year for them as well and went back to class. I thought it was odd that Sibbon did not arrive though and also wondered why they didn't just make it a holiday.

About an hour later Sibbon showed up, there had been a fire.

The Khmer wages at the school are low so many of the staff live together in wood houses near Boeung Kamphloak Lake. Sibbon told me that this morning there had been a fight at the brothel near their home and a girl started a fire. The fire department was called and a fireman came but a gun was pointed at his head so he quickly left the area and the other people (including my friends) were too scared to do anything.

This was at 5am this morning, now 7 hours later more than 60 homes have been destroyed and the fire continues to burn.

Sadly it won't be such a great New Year for everyone.

No comments: